DICT BIOLOGIST AND AFFILIATES PUBLICATION LIST
- Wcisel, M.A., Chivell, W. & Gottfried, M.D. (2010) A potential predation attempt by a great white shark on an Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin. South African Journal of Wildlife Research. 40 (2): 184-187. Read here
- Jewell, O.J.D., Wcisel, M.A., Gennari, E., Towner, A.V., Bester, N., Johnson, R.L. & Singh, S. (2011) Effects of Smart Position Only (SPOT) tag deployment on white sharks in South Africa. PLoS ONE 6 (11): e27242. Read here
- Towner, A.V., Smale, M.J. & Jewell, O.J.D. (2012) Boat strike wound healing in the white shark (Carcharodon carcharias) Global Perspectives on the Biology and Life History of the White Shark Ed. Domeier Ch.6: 77–82. Read here
- Jewell, O.J.D., Johnson, R.L., Gennari, E. & Bester, M.N. (2012) Fine scale movements and activity areas of white sharks (Carcharodon carcharias) in Mossel Bay, South Africa. Environmental Biology of Fishes. 96 881–894. Read here
- Towner, A.V. (2012) Great White Sharks (Carcharodon carcharias) in Gansbaai, South Africa: Environmental influences and changes over time: 2007–2011. Masters Thesis, University of Cape Town. Read here
- Jewell, O.J.D. (2012) Foraging ecology of white sharks, (Carcharodon carcharias), at Dyer Island, South Africa. Masters Thesis, University of Pretoria.
- Towner, A.V., Wcisel, M.A., Edwards, D., Reisinger, R.R. & Jewell, O.J.D. Gauging the Threat: The First Population Estimate for White Sharks in South Africa Using Photo Identification and Automated Software. PLoS ONE. 8 (6). Read here
- Towner, A.V., Underhill, L.G., Jewell, O.J.D, Smale, M.J. (2013) Environmental Influences on the Abundance and Sexual Composition of White Sharks (Carcharodon carcharias) in Gansbaai, South Africa PLoS ONE. 8 (8). Read here
- M Dureuil, AV Towner, LG Ciolfi and LA Beck. A computeraided framework for subsurface identification of white shark pigment patterns. African Journal of Marine Science. 37 363–371 Read here
- Alison V. Towner, Vianey Leos-Barajas, Roland Langrock, Robert S. Schick,Malcolm J. Smale, Tami Kaschke, Oliver J. D. Jewell and Yannis P.Papastamatiou (2016) Sex-specific and individual preferences for hunting strategies in white sharks. Functional Ecology. Read here or here
- Chapple T K, Gleiss A, Jewell, OJ Jewell and Block BA (2015) Tracking sharks without teeth: A non-invasive rigid tag attachment for large predatory sharks. Animal Biotelemetry. 3 (14). Read here
- Jewell,O.J., Wcisel, M.A., Towner, A.V., Chivell, W., Van der Merwe, L., Bester, M.N. (2014) Core habitat use of an apex predator in a complex marine landscape. Marine Ecology Progress Series 506 231–242. Read here
- French, G. C. A., Stürup, M., Rizzuto, S., van Wyk, J. H., Edwards, D., Dolan, R. W., Wintner, S. P., Towner, A. V. and Hughes, W. O. H. (2017), The tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth: tooth shape and ontogenetic shift dynamics in the white shark Carcharodon carcharias. J Fish Biol. doi:10.1111/jfb.13396 Read here
- K Vinding, MN Bester, S Kirkman, W Chivell. The Use of Data from a Platform of Opportunity (Whale Watching) to Study Coastal Cetaceans On the Southwest Coast of South Africa. Tourism in Marine Environments. 11 (1). Read here
- Waller, L, Underhill, L.G, Lydynia, K. (2011) The African Penguin (Spheniscus demersus): Conservation and Management Issues. PhD Thesis, University of Cape Town.
- Vinding, K, Christiansen, M, Hofmeyr, GJ, Chivell, W, McBride R, Bester M.N. (2013) Occurrence of vagrant leopard seals (Hydrurga leptonyx) along the South African coast. African Journal of wildlife research 43 (1) 84-86.
- Wcisel, M.A. (2013) The effects white shark presence has on Cape fur seal movements at Geyser Rock, South Africa. Masters Thesis, University of Cape Town.
- Wcisel, M.A, O’Rian J, De Vos A, Chivell W. (2014) The role of refugia in reducing predation risk for Cape fur seals by white. 1. Behavioural ecology socio biology. Read here
- Cook, T.R., Jewell, O.J.D., Chivell, W. & Bester, M.N. (2012) Albino Cape Cormorant (P Capensis) at Dyer Island. Marine Ornithology 40 72–73.
- Jewell, O.J.D. & Wcisel, M.A. (2012) A leatherback turtle stranding at Danger Point, Gansbaai, South Africa. South African Journal of Wildlife Research. 42 (2) 147–150 Read here
OUR SCHOLARLY GRADUATES
- Alison Towner – MSc Zoology, University of Cape Town Michelle Wcisel – MSc Zoology, University of Cape Town
- Oliver Jewell – MSc Zoology, University of Pretoria. 1. Lauren Waller – PhD, University of Cape Town
- Katja Vinding-Petersen - PhD, University of Pretoria