DICT BIOLOGIST AND AFFILIATES PUBLICATION LIST
- Wcisel, M.A., Chivell, W. & Gottfried, M.D. (2010) A potential predation attempt by a great white shark on an Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin. South African Journal of Wildlife Research. 40 (2): 184-187. Read here
- Jewell, O.J.D., Wcisel, M.A., Gennari, E., Towner, A.V., Bester, N., Johnson, R.L. & Singh, S. (2011) Effects of Smart Position Only (SPOT) tag deployment on white sharks in South Africa. PLoS ONE 6 (11): e27242. Read here
- Towner, A.V., Smale, M.J. & Jewell, O.J.D. (2012) Boat strike wound healing in the white shark (Carcharodon carcharias) Global Perspectives on the Biology and Life History of the White Shark Ed. Domeier Ch.6: 77–82. Read here
- Jewell, O.J.D., Johnson, R.L., Gennari, E. & Bester, M.N. (2012) Fine scale movements and activity areas of white sharks (Carcharodon carcharias) in Mossel Bay, South Africa. Environmental Biology of Fishes. 96 881–894. Read here
- Towner, A.V. (2012) Great White Sharks (Carcharodon carcharias) in Gansbaai, South Africa: Environmental influences and changes over time: 2007–2011. Masters Thesis, University of Cape Town. Read here
- Jewell, O.J.D. (2012) Foraging ecology of white sharks, (Carcharodon carcharias), at Dyer Island, South Africa. Masters Thesis, University of Pretoria.
- Towner, A.V., Wcisel, M.A., Edwards, D., Reisinger, R.R. & Jewell, O.J.D. Gauging the Threat: The First Population Estimate for White Sharks in South Africa Using Photo Identification and Automated Software. PLoS ONE. 8 (6). Read here
- Towner, A.V., Underhill, L.G., Jewell, O.J.D, Smale, M.J. (2013) Environmental Influences on the Abundance and Sexual Composition of White Sharks (Carcharodon carcharias) in Gansbaai, South Africa PLoS ONE. 8 (8). Read here
- M Dureuil, AV Towner, LG Ciolfi and LA Beck. A computeraided framework for subsurface identification of white shark pigment patterns. African Journal of Marine Science. 37 363–371 Read here
- Alison V. Towner, Vianey Leos-Barajas, Roland Langrock, Robert S. Schick,Malcolm J. Smale, Tami Kaschke, Oliver J. D. Jewell and Yannis P.Papastamatiou (2016) Sex-specific and individual preferences for hunting strategies in white sharks. Functional Ecology. Read here or here
- Chapple T K, Gleiss A, Jewell, OJ Jewell and Block BA (2015) Tracking sharks without teeth: A non-invasive rigid tag attachment for large predatory sharks. Animal Biotelemetry. 3 (14).
- K Vinding, MN Bester, S Kirkman, W Chivell. The Use of Data from a Platform of Opportunity (Whale Watching) to Study Coastal Cetaceans On the Southwest Coast of South Africa. Tourism in Marine Environments. 11 (1). Read here
- Waller, L, Underhill, L.G, Lydynia, K. (2011) The African Penguin (Spheniscus demersus): Conservation and Management Issues. PhD Thesis, University of Cape Town.
- Vinding, K, Christiansen, M, Hofmeyr, GJ, Chivell, W, McBride R, Bester M.N. (2013) Occurrence of vagrant leopard seals (Hydrurga leptonyx) along the South African coast. African Journal of wildlife research 43 (1) 84-86.
- Wcisel, M.A. (2013) The effects white shark presence has on Cape fur seal movements at Geyser Rock, South Africa. Masters Thesis, University of Cape Town.
- Wcisel, M.A, O’Rian J, De Vos A, Chivell W. (2014) The role of refugia in reducing predation risk for Cape fur seals by white. 1. Behavioural ecology socio biology. Read here
- Cook, T.R., Jewell, O.J.D., Chivell, W. & Bester, M.N. (2012) Albino Cape Cormorant (P Capensis) at Dyer Island. Marine Ornithology 40 72–73.
- Jewell, O.J.D. & Wcisel, M.A. (2012) A leatherback turtle stranding at Danger Point, Gansbaai, South Africa. South African Journal of Wildlife Research. 42 (2) 147–150 Read here
OUR SCHOLARLY GRADUATES
- Alison Towner – MSc Zoology, University of Cape Town Michelle Wcisel – MSc Zoology, University of Cape Town
- Oliver Jewell – MSc Zoology, University of Pretoria. 1. Lauren Waller – PhD, University of Cape Town
- Katja Vinding-Petersen - PhD, University of Pretoria